So I ended up going in to see Neil today, I had an interview to discuss which pathway that I am going to be focusing on next year. We had the discussion about going into the Announcing pathway. And he was quite pleased that I am planning on choosing to go this route. We had quite an interesting conversation.
The first thing that he mention was how passionate to radio I have been over the past six months. He has noticed a vast improvement, and he says I had a great vocal tone and very creative with my on air work. He did however mention that there is one downfault that might get in the way in my future broadcasting career. Due to having a little bit of an overbite he can hear a bit of a diction problem when it comes to pronouncing words with "s" correctly. He said it's not a huge deal, but it might get me into a bit of a problem. I am very glad that he told me about this, because now I have the chance to try and correct this problem. I really appreciate someone telling me where I am going wrong, and he told me right up front that this might run into the problem in the future.
Other then that, he was quite pleased with my performances, and my ad libs. Solid, and creative, which is good thing for me. I am hoping I have what it takes to make it far in the announcing career, it's what I love doing. It was a good chat though.
I mentioned that I am trying to get work with Big Dog 100.9 and he was thrilled to hear that I am taking the extra step to try and get some radio experience. I got a business card from him before I left his office and he told me to use him as a reference if I needed it. Apparently Astral Media got purchased by Standard Radio, which is the biggest broadcasting firm in Canada. So I can see some big changes coming up with Astral Media. He told me if they offered me full time to take it and not to come back next year, which if I had a job in radio and am getting the experience, I can still get my degree in Radio. Apparently the program states that if you are in the field working on your second year of studies then it's even better then finishing your training here, so they give you the degree in broadcasting anyways. I'm not expecting to be offered full time work if I get the job for the summer, but it sure would be nice to think that it might happen.
I just finished producing a bunch of 96.9 Radio Humber spots for Nijbour, they turned out really cool. I may post them up here in a bit for everyone to listen to on my portfolio, so be sure to check them out.
I think the plan for tonight is to watch a movie with Craig, he wants to watch Willow, I'm up for that. I've been wanting to see this movie for quite awhile now. Anyways, just wanted to keep you up to date for the day. It's been a good one so far, hope tonight is even better :)
-Kirk
Monday, March 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment