Thursday, November 8, 2007

It's Been Awhile, But No! I Didn't Fall Off The Face Of The Ea...

I suppose it's about that time that I update this crazy little blog. I've got a lot to talk about, since it's been awhile. I like to procrastinate, what can I say!

First off, I'll recap on what has been happening these days. Midterms are over, I've gotten my marks back. And I'm quite pleased to say that I'm sitting on the honors role right now. Which I was very happy with when I got the marks back for my midterms. Sitting at an 82% average which is pretty sweet.

So a few weeks back I went to the movies with Craig, Ashley, Anne and Stacey, to see 30 Days of Night. I have to say, I was a little bit disappointed with this movie. And I think that everyone else was as well. The whole story was pretty cool, but the ending was... well... kind of lame! Since it was a comic book to movie conversion it's understandable that they did the ending the way they did, because it would have been great to read in a comic book. But it just doesn't convert over to movie all that well.


Went to see Saw IV, it was quite the movie. Very gory as most of the Saw franchise is. It was quite a fun time, we went with the radio crew and afterwards headed back to residence and I decided to have a few drinks. It was pretty sweet though. I've never really hung out with the gang before outside of school. So that was really cool to see them outside of the radio environment.

Voicing, Voicing and more Voicing! I've been doing a lot of voice work lately. And I'm not complaining! I enjoy doing voice work, it's been a lot of fun, but it's also kept me extremely busy! And even more busy is putting music into the station. I've been getting music left and right, and the best part is, we finally got accepted to DMDS to have an account for brand new releases! So no worries about buying those new singles now! It's kind of neat because now we can get those brand new singles from those big Canadian bands and sound a bit more like CHUM FM. But I've been trying to add approximate around 20-30 songs each week. Trying to increase the database. We're up to 2013 songs now! YAY TEAM! And I can't help but thank Diana for all her contributions to the music as well. She totally rocks!

I decided to give Nathan and Amanda a call last night. It was good to catch up with both of them. I was kind of on a calling spree I guess you could call it. But I told them both that I'd be home on the 15th of December, so be sure to book it off work, because we would be going out that night for some fun times. I was telling them both about the Cuba trip and told them they better start saving their pennies!

Speaking of Cuba, I got a message back from my aunt. She has two resorts that she found, pretty good prices too, so I'm trying to convince a few others to join us for the trip. Which is going to be a total blast! I can't wait, I'm already extremely excited about it, and it's like four months away! It should be really fun to get away with friends for a week in a nice tropical place like Cuba though. I just want to lounge and have a good time, sip on some cocktails on the beach. The nice warm weather will be perfect for the spring break temperatures we have here in Toronto.

Speaking of temperatures, we are dropping quickly! Last week we were in the double digits. Now we're down to the single digits! It's getting a little bit chilly, but it's still not going to be as cold as it will be for Christmas in the east coast. They don't get the cold we get back home, here in the city. Which is a good thing I guess, but it's a different kind of cold. It's a bitter, dry, cold.. But it doesn't drop down to -20 like we get back home. I think last year alone I only saw a couple centimetres of snow, and never anything below the -10's. Which is great! Because that's nice and warm compared to what I'm used too!! Hopefully it won't get too cold this year, hope I didn't just jinx it by saying that.

So as of right now, I'm sitting here waiting for my next traffic report! I'm really enjoying the radio shifts. They have switched to four hours now, which is making for longer shifts, but also for less air time. I only seem to be getting one hosting shift, and one traffic and entertainment. And I hear Andy seems to be getting the same. So my theory behind it all, not to sound conceited or anything, but I think Jerry may be scheduling the people who need a little bit more experience on the boards more then the others that are sounding fine on air. Which I guess makes sense, I'd just like a little more air time. But we did bring it forward to Jerry that about a 9-11pm shift, and also a 7-9am shift. Of course it would be all volunteer, it wouldn't be necessary. It would be for the people who want some more airtime on the station because they aren't getting enough airtime. At least that's the way I feel.

And that brings me to tell you about the Broadcast Tour that I ended up doing yesterday for grade nine high school students. I was pretty pumped to be doing this. But apparently they weren't interested in Radio, TV or Journalism at all. It was kind of bombshell! No one enjoyed it, at least they didn't seem to enjoy it! I tried my best, was asking as many questions to them as possible, and there was absolutely no response. It was like the sound of crickets when I asked a question. Oh well, I tried my best, at least it was a fun experience for me, I got to give a tour of an awesome broadcast centre and there was no response! I guess these kids don't like the media! I've never given a tour before so I was a bit nervous myself, so it was definitely a great experience for me either way.

We now have Radio Humber tshirts! I'm very excited, bought it yesterday, and am sporting it right now while I'm on the air. It's great, the only complaint I have, is the fact that there is a HUGE logo on the back, but no logo on the front what so ever! I'm thinking what I might do is go and get the front embroidered with my name, my position, and the station below that, so at least there will be something to read on the front and it won't seem so blank! It's still cool though, now all the radio students can sport the radio humber tshirts around campus, and we won't just see those annoying Humber Fire tshirts everywhere... hahahah...

Anyway, I guess that's really all to update on, I'm sure theres a few other things I may think of as time goes on, perhaps I'll do another post if I do. Have a good one!
-Kirk

No comments: